16 June 2008

MFH: 16 June

Today is the 72nd anniversary of the marriage of my maternal grandparents, Benedict Aloysius Roddy and Mary Eileen Hayes. Although, they lived in southeastern Ohio, they were married in Cincinnati.

This picture of my maternal grandparents was taken in 1960 at my parents wedding.

Growing up they were semi-legendary figures to me. I did not know them well as they lived in California and we lived in Ohio. Their love and relationship always seemed the ideal to strive for; the ultimate in sacrifice for love. They moved from Ohio to California in 1961 because my grandmother had severe asthma that was aggravated by the hot, humid summers in Ohio. The weather, she was told, in California would be better for her health. So my grandfather moved the entire family, including the nine children then at home, across country. My grandparents moved back to Ohio in the Spring of 1979 and my grandmother passed away on Thanksgiving Day of the same year.


This picture was taken in 1979 it shows: (front row, left to right) Uncle Mike, Grandma, Grandpa; (second row, left to right) Aunt Mary Ann, Mom, Uncle Ben, and Aunt Shirley.

No comments: