02 June 2008

Ex Libris

I love books. I love the smell of books. I love the feel of books. I love reading books. I love buying books. I love owning books. I'm sure Chuck would probably tell you I have too many books.

Books made my childhood rather less lonely than it otherwise might have been. Having five siblings meant there were always other children around but they were often doing things I had no interest in, sports (my brothers) or dolls (my sisters). I was much happier curled up somewhere with a good book. I cemented my nerd status early.

One of the very best gifts I ever got was a book. It was a book of science questions (More Tell Me Why by Arkady Leokum). My mother gave it to me for Christmas in 1972. I still have it. It was one of the first gifts I received from either of my parents that made me feel like they understood me. What a gift!

Chicago is a great town for books. There are lots of great used books stores that I could get lost in for hours. If you love books as much as I do and you live in the Chicago area then you should not miss the Printers Row Book Fair this coming weekend June 7-8.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Me, too. What a coincidence.
jeff