05 June 2008

Brittle

When I was in the hospital after breaking my hip, the orthopedic surgeon suggested that I have a bone density scan. So about two weeks ago I had the scan and got the results today from my rheumatologist. She has diagnosed me with osteopenia. Osteopenia is the thinning of bone mass. While this decrease in bone mass is not usually considered "severe", it is considered a very serious risk factor for the development of osteoporosis. Osteopenia is commonly seen in people over age 50 that have lower than average bone density but do not have osteoporosis. The diagnostic difference between osteopenia and osteoporosis is the measure of bone mineral density. She gave me two new prescriptions today: Fosamax and Vitamin D. (Fosamax, you may know, is the drug that Sally Field finds too difficult to remember to take once a week so she takes Boniva once a month instead. I'm sure somehow I'll manage to remember my once weekly pills.)


No comments: