08 September 2008

Music: Martha Wainwright

I cannot sing. This is an immutable law of nature, like Newton's laws. It's quite possible that were I to sing some cosmic calamity would ensue. I used to be quite sad about this. I think singing by those gifted with beautiful voices is a sure sign that God exists.

One voice that I've been listening to a lot recently is Martha Wainwright. I first heard her signing with Snow Patrol on "Set Fire to the Third Bar."

After hearing this, I new I needed to hear more.

I bought Martha's EP, "I Will Internalize," and her two full length CDs, "Martha Wainwright" and "I Know You're Married But I've Got Feelings Too." They did not disappoint. Here voice is rich and warm and brittle and vulnerable all at once. One of my favorite tracks is her song, "Factory."


Her rendition of "Stormy Weather" (from brother Rufus's Judy! show) is sublime.


Enjoy!

No comments: