13 November 2008

MFH: 13 November

Today is the 99th anniversary of the birth of my maternal grandfather, Benedict Aloysius Roddy. Benedict was born 13 November 1909 in Vincent, Washington, Ohio, USA, the fourth son (of five) and sixth child (of nine) of Owen Francis "Frank" and Catherine Regina (Holden) Roddy.

View Larger Map

On 16 June 1936, at St. Louis Catholic Church in Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio, USA, he married Mary Eileen Hayes. Ben and Eileen had thirteen children, nine daughters and four sons. In late 1961, Ben, Eileen, and nine of the children moved from Vincent, Ohio to the San Fernando Valley in California. Ben and Eileen moved back to Ohio in the spring of 1979 and Eileen died 23 November 1979 in Marietta, Ohio. Ben died there on 17 December 1994.

Benedict Aloysius Roddy (1909-1994), about 1927.


Ben Roddy with his mother, Catherine Regina (Holden) Roddy, circa 1930.


Ben and Eileen Roddy with their eldest five children shortly before Ben went into the Navy during World War II, 1944.


Ben and Eileen Roddy with twelve of their thirteen children, circa 1960.


Ben walking my mother down the aisle on my parents wedding day, 1960.


My maternal grandparents, Mary Eileen (Hayes) and Benedict Aloysius Roddy on my parents wedding day, St. Mary's Catholic Church, Marietta, Ohio, 07 May 1960.


Ben and Eileen Roddy with five of their children, Summer 1979.


My descent from Ben is:
Benedict Aloysius Roddy + Mary Eileen Hayes
|
My Mother + My Father
|
Me

No comments: