17 October 2008

MFH: 17 October

Today is a quadruple anniversary for my family; two great-great-great-grandmothers celebrate birthdays today, my great-grandparents celebrate their wedding anniversary and there is a very, special birthday as well.

Today is 188th anniversary of the birth of my great-great-great-grandmother, Elizabeth S. Lowe. Elizabeth was born on 17 October 1820 near Duck Creek, Noble, Ohio, USA. She was the eldest (of six) daughter and third (of ten) child of Jonathan and Hannah (Ayles) Lowe.

View Larger Map

On 28 November 1837, Elizabeth married Jonathan Walker in Washington County, Ohio; they had 14 children, seven sons and seven daughters (inlcuding two sets of twins!). Elizabeth died on 12 December 1906 near Fifteen Mile Creek in Liberty Township, Washington County, Ohio.

View Larger Map


My descent from Elizabeth is:
Elizabeth S. Lowe + Jonathan Walker
|
Sarah Jane Walker + Andrew D. Fleming
|
Rena Belle Fleming + James Eldridge Needs
|
Freda Irene Needs + Benedict Aloysius Roddy
|
My Father + My Mother
|
Me

Today is the 173rd anniversary of the birth of my great-great-great-grnadmother, Mary Purcell. Mary was born 17 October 1835 in Montréal, Quebec, Canada, a daughter of Nicholas and Margaret (Collins) Purcell.

View Larger Map

Mary was married to Thomas Hayes, Sr. and had six children, one daughter and five sons.

My descent from Mary is:
Mary Purcell + Thomas Hayes, Sr.
|
Thomas Hayes, Jr. + Mary Ann Skehan
|
Thomas Francis Hayes + Harriett Hayes
|
Mary Eileen Hayes + Benedict Aloysius Roddy
|
My Mother + My Father
|
Me


Today is the 110th anniversary of the marriage of my great-grandparents, Owen Francis "Frank" Roddy and Catherine Regina Holden. Frank was born 14 Apr 1867 in Fairfield Township, Washington County, Ohio. Catherine was born 26 March 1873 at Tunnel, Warren Township, Washington County, Ohio. Frank and Catherine were married 17 October 1898 in Washington County, Ohio; they had nine children, four daughters and five sons. Catherine died 29 January 1949 at the family farm in Fairfield Township, Washington County, Ohio. Frank died exactly 10 years later, 29 January 1959, at the farm. Frank and Catherine are buried in (New) St. Mary's Cemetery on St. Mary's Avenue in Marietta, Ohio.

Owen Francis "Frank" Roddy (1867-1595)



Catherine Regina (Holden) Roddy (1873-1949)



My descent from Frank and Catherine is:
Owen Francis Roddy + Catherine Regina Holden
|
Benedict Aloysius Roddy + Mary Eileen Hayes
|
My Mother + My Father
|
Me


And, last but by no means least, today is my father's 68th birthday. Happy Birthday, Dad!

Dad, 1940




Dad, late 1940s




Dad, 1958




Mom and Dad, 1960



Mom and Dad, 2001

1 comment:

Shannon Clark said...

I read with interest your information on your third great grandparents Thomas Hayes and Mary Purcell - they are my third great grandparents as well through their daughter, Mary Hayes.

I would love to share more information with you. You can email me directly at gclark13@cogeco.ca