29 May 2008

Madeline Kahn Appreciation Day

(With apologies to Lerner and Loewe for my inelegant changes.)

I've grown accustomed to her voice

She almost makes the day begin

I've grown accustomed to the tune
She whistles night and noon

Her smiles, her frowns, her ups, her downs


Are second nature to me now

Like breathing out and breathing in

I was serenely independent and content before we met

Surely I could always be that way again and yet

I've grown accustomed to her sounds,
Accustomed to her voice,

Accustomed to her face


I'm very grateful she's a woman and so easy to forget
Rather like a habit one can always break and yet

I've grown accustomed to the trace of something in the air

Accustomed to her voice
****************************************

Whether she was speaking


or singing


or just counting to 20


Madeline Kahn's voice was rich mixture of strength and fragility that suited every occassion and mood.

To read more appreciations, go to StinkyLulu.

No comments: