26 May 2008

In Memoriam


On Memorial Day we honor those men and women who served the United States in the armed services. I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge my relatives who have served.

To my relatives who have served recently or are serving still, I offer my appreciation and respect: my brother-in-law, Randy (USAF); my cousin, Andy (USAF); my cousin, Carrie (USA Reserves).

World War II:
Charles Albert Gard, USN (my father-in-law; 1916-2005)

Richard Todd Livesay, USMC (my paternal granduncle; 1920-1977)

Benedict Aloysius Roddy, USN (my maternal grandfather; 1909-1994)

Glenda Josephine Schoen, WAVES (my paternal grandaunt; 1915-1951)


United States Civil War:

Andrew D. "Leander" Fleming, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 148th Regiment, Company G, 1864 (my great-great-grandfather, 1844-1930): His regiment was traveling by train to Washington, DC in late May/early June 1864 when the train was involved in an accident. Andrew was injured in the accident and then contracted the measles. He spent the remainder of his enlistment in the hospital.

Andrew Holden, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 73rd Regiment, Company F, 1862-1865 (my great-great-grandfather, 1839-1895): He fought at Monterey, Shane's Bridge, McDonald, Franklin, Strausburg, Cross Keys, Cedar Mountain, Freeman's Ford, Waterloo Bridge, Sulphur Springs, 2nd Bull Run, Aldie, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Hagerstown, Ft. Wagner, John's Island, Camp Baldwin, Gainesville, and Charlestown besides over 100 skirmishes and minor engagements

Peter Schoen, New York Infantry, 40th Regiment, Company E, Killed at the Battle of the Wilderness, Virginia, May 1864 (first cousin of my great-great-grandfather; 1841-1864)


No comments: