17 August 2008

Ex Libris: Take the Cannoli


I don't think I have the words to adequately express my appreciation of Sarah Vowell. Take the Cannoli (New York: Simon & Schuster, 2000; ISBN: 0-7432-0540-5) is the third collection of her essays that have been published in book form. The essays are well-written and funny. I think that what I most like about Sarah is her ability to celebrate and have fun with her many phobias and quirks. Also, Sarah is a history geek and appeals to me enormously.

Her essay entitled "Drive Through Please," is my favorite. The essay describes her attempt to learn how to drive at age 28 (she still does not have her driver's license). She hits upon an essential, universal truth when she writes:
"Rules of the Road" is an alarming, apocalyptic work of literature filled with foreboding information such as "carbon monoxide is a deadly poison" and "if fire is an immediate danger you must jump clear of the vehicle" and "if your vehicle runs off the roadway into water but does not sink right away, try to escape through a window." (And if you can't swim?)


Given that I didn't get my driver's license until age 19 when I forced to do so by my parents, I understand her trepidation. I was convinced there was no way I could not injure or kill someone while driving. How would I ever be able to control a hurtling, 2000-pound, killing device. I passed my driving test without incident (but left the key in the ignition and the car running after completing the exam). I remain accident free to this day but still feel that same fear each time I get behind the wheel.

No comments: